- Our Lord demonstrates His respect for the law in verses 17-20.
What does verse 20 mean?
Does it leave us any hope?
Cf. Rom. 3:20-22; 8:3, 4. In what way does our Lord make the law more demanding?
- What is the relevance in our modern world of Christ’s teaching in verses 33-48 on the subject of oaths and talking vengeance?
Consider the application of the question in verse 47, ‘what are you doing more than others?’
to the whole subject of Christian love.
- Comparing verses 31, 32 with 19:3-9, what is our Lord’s teaching on the sanctity of marriage and the possibility of divorce?
- Verse 18. ‘Not an iota, not a dot’ (RSV): a reference to the smallest letter or significant part of a letter in the Hebrew language.
- Verse 48. ‘Perfect’ has more the meaning of ‘mature’ or full-grown than any concept of sinless perfection. Cf. Luke 6:36.