- Why was Jesus not satisfied with the faith spoken of in 2:23?
Cf. 4:48; 6:26, 30; Matt. 13:14.
Is my faith the kind that pleases God?
- What was right and what was lacking in Nicodemus’ assessment of Jesus?
How did Jesus’ answer correct him?
What is involved in being ‘born of the Spirit’, and why is it needed?
Cf. Matt. 18:3; John 1:12, 13; 2 Cor. 5:17; Rom. 8:8, 9.
- Why was the lifting up of the Son of man necessary?
(Note ‘must’ in 3:14.) On what ground are men judged and condemned?
Where do you stand in relation to these truths?
- Verse 5. ‘Born of water’ probably refers to John’s baptism.
- Verse 8. As with the wind, so with the movement of the Spirit, the effect is real and recognizable, although the process is hidden.
- Verse 12, 13. The gospel speaks of heavenly things, of which Christ is the sole revealer. Cf. 3:31,32; Matt. 11:27.