- Make a list of the seven specific ordinances included in the general covenant to walk in God’s law (10:29) and not neglect the house of God (10:39).
- What did the people agree: (a) to give up, and (b) to give, that they might ‘obey carefully all the commands, regulations and decrees of the Lord’? What does this teach us about the meaning of whole-hearted consecration? Cf. 2 Cor. 6:14-7:1; Prov. 3:9, 10; 1 Cor. 16:1, 2.
- 10:29.’Bind themselves with a curse and an oath’: i.e., pledged themselves by an oath, invoking divine vengeance on themselves, if they failed to observe it.
- Verse 31b. cf. Exod. 32:10, 11; Deut. 15:1-3.
- Verses 35-39 give a general summary of laws such as Exod. 23:19 and Num. 18:8-32.