- 6:8-23. Why was the young man afraid and why was the prophet not afraid?
Have we learned the secret of the conquest of fear?
Cf. Heb. 11:27.
- Observe the severity of the siege, and the greatness of the faith that enabled Elisha to speak as he did in 7:1.
How does the judgment that fell upon the unbelieving officer illustrate the punishment that will follow all willful unbelief?
Cf. Mark 16:16b; John 3:36.
- What lessons do you learn from the part played by the four lepers in this story?
- 6:25. ‘Ten pounds in silver was paid for the head of an ass and twelve shillings for a pint of doves ‘dung’ (Moffatt).
- 6:30, 31. Elisha appears to have been sustaining the hopes of the king and people by the promise of divine deliverance. The king’s faith now gave way, and he burned with anger against the prophet.