- How might one have expected John to have replied to the statement of verse 26?
Consider the quality of character and the principles brought out in his answer.
How far do you share his attitude to Christ?
How does it apply to your situation?
- What is said about Jesus in verses 31, 32, 34, 35 that set him apart from and above all others?
- ‘The man who has accepted it’ (verse 33), ‘believes in the Son’, ‘rejects the Son’ (verse 36).
What kind of response to Jesus Christ do these phrases describe?
To what consequences do they lead?
- Verse 32. ‘No-one’: i.e., generally speaking; it is qualified inverse 33.
- Verse 33. ‘Has certified’: he both confirms his acceptance of the truth of God’s word and, in his consequent experience, proves the truth of it. Cf. 7:17.