- What was it that made David view the situation differently, and gave him courage, when all the men of Israel were much afraid?
Cf. Ps. 42:5, 11; Is. 51:12, 13.
- How did David’s past experiences of the Lord’s deliverance give him confidence to face the present challenge?
What practical lessons does this teach about:
(a) the value of remembering, and
(b) the importance of proving God’s presence and power in ordinary daily living?
- What do you think of Saul’s reasoning (verse 33), and of his provision for David (verses 38, 39)? What was lacking?
See verse 47.
- Verses 4ff. The giant was over nine feet (3 metres) tall, and carried 125 pounds (about 57 kg) of armour.
- Verses 18. ‘Some assurance’: i.e., that they are well, etc.