- Verses 14-30. Compare this parable with that in Luke 19:11-27.
What is the message underlying both parables?
Can you distinguish the particular emphasis of each parable?
- Verses 31-46. What claims does Christ make here concerning himself?
How is men’s final destiny determined?
- What does this passage teach about the gravity of the sin of omission?
What does the absence of good works prove?
- Verse 34. This is the only place in the gospels where Christ speaks of the son of man as king. No doubt there was too great a danger of the popular misunderstanding of that title for its frequent use to be possible.
- Verse 46. ‘Eternal’: this speaks primarily not of endless duration but of that which in quality is characteristic of the age to come.