- 3:6-20. What is the offence of Judah?
And what aggravated it in the eyes of God?
What forms does this sin take today?
Cf. Jas. 4:4; 1 John 5:20, 21. What does God offer, and on what conditions?
- Trace the process of restoration as outlined in 3:21-4:4.
What is meant by such phrases as ‘Break up your unploughed ground’ and ‘Circumcise yourselves to the Lord’? Cf. 9:26; Deut. 10:16; Rom. 2:28, 29.
- 4:5-31. A vivid picture of the approach of an invader from the north.
What place does he have in the purpose of God?
- 3:8. An allusion to the conquest of northern Israel in 721 BC by the Assyrians.
- 3:10. See Note on 3:4.
- 3:14. ‘Husband’. Cf. verses 19, 20 for similar mixing of metaphors from the family.