- Verses 4-10 and 17-19. What did God require from Jeremiah, and what did he promise him?
How can this apply to us?
- What is the divine interpretation of the two visions that Jeremiah saw?
- What aspects of God’s character and activity are brought before us in this chapter? Cf. Eph. 1:4.
- Verse 5. ‘Knew’: in the sense of ‘regarded’, almost equivalent to ‘chose’. ‘I consecrated you’: set apart for myself. For ‘prophet’, see verse 9.
- Verse 11. “Branch’: probably meaning a straight shoot just beginning to blossom. The word for almond tree is from the same root as the word ‘watching’ in verse 12 (see mg.). Moffatt translates ‘wake-tree’. The almond was so called because it was the first to awake after the sleep of winter.
- Verse 13. The boiling pot is ready to pour out its fiery contents southwards.
- Verse15. ‘Their thrones’: i.e., of judgment.