- Verses 1-7. What picture of God is unfolded in verses 1 and 2? Cf. Matt. 7:2. Why has he been unable to answer the prophet’s prayer for Israel’s salvation? Cf. 59:1-3. How does God purpose to deal with them (verses 8-12)?
- What is to be the lot of God’s chosen people in Jerusalem in the new age that is to dawn (verses 17-25)? What in contrast is going to be the life and end of those who forsake God (verses 11, 15)?
- Verses 3-7. A condemnation of various idolatrous practices.
- Verse 8. ‘when a bunch of grapes holds some good wine, men say “destroy it not, it holds a blessing”’ (Moffatt). So God will save the good in Israel.
- Verse 11. ‘Fortune’ and ‘destiny’: the Hebrew words are Gad and Meni, the names of two gods.