- What were the sins that had brought God’s judgment on the nation of Israel?
See verses 2, 4, 13b, 15. Why should God condemn their formal religious observances (verses 10-17)?
See also Ps. 40:6-9; Amos 5:21-24; Mic. 6:6-8.
- What is the double purpose of God’s judgment revealed in verses 24-31?
Can you link it with verses 19 and 20?
- Verses 5, 6. Sinful Israel is pictured as a body suffering all over from sword wounds, scourge bruises and abscesses.
- Verse 10. In God’s sight his people are as depraved as Sodom and Gomorrah. Cf. 3:9; Matt. 11:23, 24.
- Verse 22. Silver and wine are probably metaphors for the leaders of the nation.