- Compare the tests of a true Children found in 2 John with those given in 1 John.
- Consider the three mentioned in 3 John, all professing Christians. What does the apostle praise in Gaius? What faults does he find in Diotrephes? What threefold witness does he give in praise of Demetrius?
- What dangers arise from listening to false teachers? What is John’s answer to the claims of ‘advanced thought’? See Note 3.
- 2 John Cf. NEB, ‘whom I love in truth … for the sake of the truth’.
- 2 John 4. ‘Walking in the truth … ’: i.e., living true Christian lives in obedience to the command which we have received from the Father.
- 2 John 9. ‘Love to be first’: i.e., claims a knowledge superior to God’s revelation.
- 3 John 5. Cf. Heb. 13:2.