- How were fear and jealousy like a cancer in Saul’s spirit?
How did they show themselves?
How do you explain God’s action in this matter?
By what means were Saul’s attempts to destroy David foiled?
- How did Jonathan and Michal show their love for David?
Do we ever risk any thing for our friends?
See 1 John 3:16, 18.
- 18:5. ‘So successfully’: a pregnant Hebrew word is used meaning ‘deal wisely’ with the implied consequence of success. Cf. Is. 52:13a
- 18:10. Cf. 1Kgs. 22:22.
- 19:13. ‘An idol’: Hebrew ‘teraphim’, i.e., household gods; cf. Gen. 31:19. This deceived Saul’s messengers into thinking that David was ill in bed.
- 19:23, 24. Cf. Is 20:2; Mic. 1:8, Saul lay in a trance for a day and a night. The origin of the proverb about Saul is recorded in 10:12. His behavior here evidently caused men to recollect it.