- Consider the teaching of Jesus on riches and possessions.
With verses 23-26, cf. Luke 6:24; 8:14; 12:13-21.
Compare Paul’s teaching in 1 Tim. 6:7, 10, 17.
But note that Christ gladly received help from the rich (cf. Luke 8:2, 3).
- Is there a place for the concept of reward in Christian service?
What do verses 27-30 teach about this?
- Verses 1-16. What is the main teaching of the parable of the laborers in the vineyard?
What does it have to say about the legalistic spirit in Christian service?
- Verses 17-19 are the third prediction by Christ of his own passion.
Cf. 16:21; 17:22, 23. What new details are added here?
What do verses 22 and 25-28 reveal of the mind of Christ with regard to what was ahead?
- In what ways do verses 20-28 prove the disciples to be out of sympathy with Christ at this moment?
What do both Christ’s teaching and his example demand of us?