- Consider the significance of the coming of the wise men from the East in the light of such passages as Isaiah 49:6; Luke 2:32; John 10:16.
- Note the different reactions to the birth of Jesus from the wise men, the chief priests and scribes, and Herod. How does this prove the truth of John 9:39; 18:37?
- Notice the accuracy of fulfillment of prophecy in our Lord’s infancy (verses 15; 17; 18; 23). What does this teach us about the nature and authority of prophecy?
- Verse 1. The word ‘Magi’ refers to learned astrologers or those who practiced magical arts. There is noting but tradition to make them kings.
- Verse 23. There is no Old Testament quotation about the Messiah as a Nazarene. Matthew may be making a play on the Hebrew word ‘netser’ meaning ‘branch’ from Isa. 11:1 and Jer. 23:5. Or the phrase may refer to the contempt associated with Christ’s home back-ground. Cf. John 1:46; Isaiah 53:2, 3.