- Make a list of the varied conditions and circumstances in respect of which counsel is given in this passage. Which of them apply more particularly to counsel is given in this passage. Which of them apply more particularly to yourself? Note particularly the warning and the challenge of 20:6. Cf. Matt. 7:21
- What is said about the Lord? Note carefully how the fact of his presence forms the foundation on which the writer’s counsels are based.
- Gather out from this passage those principles for wise living that most impress you.
- Make a list from 20:17-25 of different kinds of action which out to be avoided: and notice why.
- 20:24 speaks of God’s sovereignty, and 20:27 of man’s responsibility. What other verses in this passage touch on these two complementary truths?
- 20:27. ‘The spirit of a man’: here a synonym for the conscience.
- 22:16. ‘He who … gives gifts to the rich’: i.e., solely with his own advantage in view-‘to increase his wealth’.