Proverbs 6 And 7
- Verses 1-5 give warning against foolish financial commitments and pledges. What other warnings are given in these chapters?
- In what forms do the sins spoken of here manifest themselves at the present day?
- Test your life in the light of 6:16-19.
- Contrast the description of wisdom with that of the woman in 7:5-27. How do they differ in speech, in conduct, in what they offer, and in the goal to which they lead their followers?
- What is said of wisdom in verses 22-31 concerning: (a) its existence from the beginning; (b) its part in creation; (c) its communion with God; (d) its interest in man? Consider how in all these respects there is here a foreshadowing of Christ. Cf. e.g., (a) John 17:5; (b) John 1:1-3; Col. 1:15-17; (c) Matt. 11:27; (d) Heb. 2:17, 18.
- What similar but greater gifts than those which wisdom offers in 8:32-36 are offered in Christ? Cf. e.g., Matt. 11:29; Luck 11:28; John 14:21; 17:2, 3; 3:36.
- Set 9:1-6 and 9:13-18 side by side. In what respects are wisdom and folly (9:13, RV mg.) alike, and wherein do they differ?
- In my reactions to criticism and advice, do I show any of the symptoms of the scoffer or of the wise man, as shown in verses 7-9?