2 Samuel 15:1-16:14
1. How was it that Absalom ‘stole the hearts of the men of Israel’? What do you make of David’s reactions here?
2. Contrast the behavior of Absalom with that of Ittai and Hushai.
3. Consider how the rebellion shows certain men in their true colours (16:1-14). Again note David’s reactions.
2 Samuel 16:15-17:29
1. What are the reasons for Ahitophel’s first piece of advice to Absalom? What do you think would have been David’s first thought (cf. 12:11, 12)? Is this the key to David’s rather defeatist attitude?
2. 17:1-14. Was Ahithophel’s counsel good? If so, why was it that Hushai’s advice won the day?
3. How was David rewarded for his previous generosity Notice who Shobi was (verse 17:27; see 2 Sam. 10:2).
2 Samuel 18:1-19:8
1. What is good and what is bad about David’s concern for Absalom?
2. Consider Joab’s conduct throughout this passage, separating the good and bad points.