- In what way would the fulfilment of the promise in 46:3 be easier in Egypt than in the nomadic conditions of Canaan? What can we learn from this of God’s providence?
- What trail in Joseph is revealed by his management of Jacob’s arrival? Cf. Is 11:2.
- How does this passage illustrate, typically or otherwise: (a) John 14:6; (b) 2 Cor. 4:17, 18?
- By their own confession, what did Joseph do for the people of Egypt? How did he remain true to his father’s God amid all the pressures of his office?
- What different points of view produced the two retrospects of Jacob in 47:9 and 84:15, 16? Which is more worthy of our imitation?
- Note Jacob’s confident faith and prayer for his two grandsons. Cf. Heb. 11:21; Gen. 18:18, 19; Deut. 6:4-7; Ps. 78:5-7. What can we learn from this concerning the privilege and responsibility of Christian parenthood?